How do I use POR 15 Rust Preventive Paint?
1. Product Description
POR 15 Rust Preventive Paint: POR15 is a rust preventative paint designed for application directly on rusted or seasoned surfaces. It dries to a rock-hard, non-porous finish that won’t chip, crack, or peel, and it prevents rust from re-occurring by protecting metal from further exposure to moisture.
POR 15 is sensitive to UV light (sun) and must be top coated for prolonged exposure to sunlight. Top coating not required for areas not exposed to sunlight.
2. Application Procedures
Rusted surfaces are best; seasoned metal and sandblasted surfaces are also good. Use Cleaner Degreaser (aka Marine Clean) to remove any oily film or residue. Cleaner Degreaser removes grease, oil, mildew, algae, musty odours, soap films, and wax. Use it to clean canvas, vinyl, nylon, holding tanks, grease traps, auto parts and more.
To coat smooth metal surfaces; use POR15 Metal Prep (aka Metal Ready or Prep & Ready) to prepare surface before painting. Surface must be dry and free of grease, oil, or other foreign substances.
Use of “rust converter” products is NOT recommended as they may affect bonding of POR 15 to metal. POR-15 likes to adhere to surfaces with “tooth” rather than smooth, glossy surfaces.
STIR CONTENTS THOROUGHLY before painting. Do not shake. Refrigerate unused portion of POR-15 for longer shelf life.
Apply in thin coats, 2 to 3 mm thickness.
Topcoat when first is dry but with slight remaining finger-drag, usually 3-4 hours.
3. Spray Application
Use 30-35 lbs pressure for normal gloss. Reduce pressure for lower gloss (20-25 lbs).
Thin only with POR Solvent, if necessary. If topcoat to be done at later date, apply light dustcoat of primer over tacky POR15 and let dry. Full priming and finishing can be done later.
To topcoat a cured POR-15 surface, wet sand with 600 grit until gloss is dull, then paint.
Use POR-15 Solvent or lacquer thinner for clean up, which must be done before POR 15 dries; once dry, POR-15 cannot be removed by solvent.
Avoid skin contact. Remove from skin at once to avoid temporary staining. USE OF GLOVES AND VENTILATING EQUIPMENT IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED.
NOTE: organic vapour particulate respirators, NIOSH/MSHA approved, must be used when spraying POR-15. Moisture will shorten the life of unused POR-15.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN, PETS, ETC. HARMFULL OR FATAL IF SWALLOWED. DO NOT USE ON CHILDRENS TOYS THAT MAYBE PUT INTO MOUTH. USE IN WELL VENTILATED AREAS ONLY.