The purpose of Fertan Rust Converter is to provide you with all the benefits of shot blasting with no surface damage and no material loss. As there is no blasting the process is nuisance free and silent. You are able to observe and be sure that all the rust has been converted before applying opaque paint coats.
Fertan is suitable for treating steel and iron surfaces, even if they have to be left for weeks or months prior to final painting. Rust is removed and prevented from re-forming for up to six months so delays in your painting schedule will not be a disaster. It can be over-coated with oil or water based paints, epoxy, lacquer, wax etc.
It is a complex, patented tannic acid, water based non toxic product. It offers exceptional protection against rust despite being environmentally friendly. Isocyanates and high volatiles are not necessary so it doesn’t contain them.
Fertan converts loose rust to powder that can be rinsed away leaving a converted stable and inert surface. When kept in closed containers and reasonable conditions it has an unlimited shelf life.
Application is simple and safe….
1. Loosen surface rust using a brush, abrasives or pressure washer.
2. Apply FERTAN using a brush, roller or sponge and let it sit for about an hour.
3. Dampen the treated surface with water to maximize penetration.
4. Leave FERTAN to react with the surface for 24 hours at 68°F to 48 hours if lower for best results.
5. Remove the black powdery dust with a damp cloth and leave it to dry.
6. Paint the treated surface with paint within 6 months, for effective long-term results.